Gravy Brain...

...because it's from the drippings and juices flowing in my brain. The tidbits you sneek before the meal is served, while you're making the gravy. So, these are excerpts from my life, thoughts about God and the Life found in Him. Sometimes I'll talk like you're listening. Sometimes I'll jot down stuff like a journal. Read it. Don't read it. Doesn't matter. The real meat & potatoes (the lessons mentioned in the side bar) can be found at TheJesusTribe, in Links. Be blessed, or not. It is a choice.

BELIEVE & PRAY

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Our Liberty...

1 Cor 8:9 But take heed lest by any means this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them that are weak.

liberty - exousia:G1849 - privilege, capacity, competency, freedom, delegated influence (grace), authority, jurisdiction, power, right, strength.

Is it cut -N- paste theology to apply any other circumstance and/or situation to this scripture, other than the eating of meat offered to an idol?

o.k...This is the situation as I see it....I have a sister (both in-law and in the Body). She wishes me to participate in several activities this summer. Many of which coincide with other planned events. My family is looking forward to these other events. I think the touchy spot is that she and her family may not be able to participate in one of these events this year, as they had in years past, due to tight finanses. As much as I would like to, We cannot pay for them (and to be clear, they would never ask us to). I think she was hurt and angery that I have choosen this one other event (that we did together the past couple years) over her activity.


Our conflicts are: 1) my family's summer vacation VS her throwing my brothers 30th B-Day party (the vaca. has been scheduled for months, the party scheduled 2 weeks ago); 2) a city wide annual festival (with a parade, which my daughter may or may not be in) VS her sons 1 year B-Day; and 3) the company picnic at a resort (the one we've done together) VS her throwing my brother's rescheduled 30th B-Day.

I love her, and my brother, and their kids. I know I've hurt her. I feel really bad, but it isn't logical to cancel a pre-paid vacation (a time share that was a gift, blessed on us and paid for by other family). My 4 year old daughter's gymnastics team may be marching in the annual parade, which begins at the same time as the 1 year old B-Day party. That's not fair to my daughter, but if she ends up not in the parade we've missed the party for nothing. The company picnic is our mom's company. Mom takes us every year. They are financially strapped this year and can't swing it. We are tight also, but have tried to make it work, as we really want to go. Then she told us of her plan to reschedule the 30th B-Day party to the following week after we return from vacation.....that's the same day as the company picnic.

Is this the "esteem your 'sister' higher than yourself" part? The "denying yourself and loving others" section? How do I forget my own desires and do as she asks without resent it later? And even if I could manage all that stuff, how do I convince my husband? He has plans to get away and he'd just tell her to party on without us. The thing is my mom, myself, and our kids ARE their family, just as they are ours. Who do we invite to a birthday....family.

I feel really awful. I don't want bad feelings to grow and fester. I want to draw close and develope a deeper relationship, but we both have a husband and three children. We have lives and semi-busy schedules and very different ideas of priorities. Or maybe not even different priorities as much as different ways of expressing those priorities. I don't know.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Comments? Anything............


1 Comments:

  • At 9:33:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    One thing you might do, if you have any rapport with her, is to talk freely with her about this decision. (Meet with her for coffee or something if you can, while the dads keep the kids.) Explain clearly and carefully the reasons you feel torn, pro and con, about these plans. Then you could ask her how she would advise a friend of hers in a similar situation, or how she herself would decide if she were in your shoes. Maybe she'll want to pray with you for wisdom, and maybe
    she will be in a better position to understand and deal with it if you decide you cannot attend her events this time. She probably has no idea of the conundrum you are facing right now, and if she is able to listen and empathize with your perspective, it could really draw you both closer. And you would also hear more from her about her feelings. It could be that it isn't even as important to her as you thought, or that it is actually a bigger deal to her than you realized. I'm praying for everything to work out. Since you both love Jesus, there's a good chance it will.

    peace to you,
    Robin

     

Post a Comment

<< Home